Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The second Drew Storen shirt

I know, I know. I didn't even post the first Drew Storen shirt and I'm already posting about the second. Well, fact is, I'm kind of in a hurry right now and that first Drew shirt was an eye opener and really deserves a lot of attention, much more than I can devote now.
This Drew shirt started out as a play on "Viva El Drew K!" which itself was a play on a nickname Storen had at one point in his life. El Drew K itself is an homage to Orlando Hernandez, a Cuban born pitcher that has the nickname El Duque (The Duke). Why El Duque? Hell if I know, but it sure does make El Drew K witty. I wanted this shirt to be graffiti driven from the start, so a wanted poster with "Viva El Drew K" being scrawled across it popped into my head. It took me about three days to do the poster, and an entire day to decide on a font for the graffiti. Once I had the font, I spent a good portion of time angling the script. This way. That way. Run it by friends. Decide it's good. Change it again. I didn't want to obscure too much of Drew's face, but I thought that the bandits (the "El Drew K Crew") wouldn't really care about that. So, I finally went with what I had at the end of one of the days. The crossing out of the "WANTED" was a very, very last second decision, but one I'm still happy with.


No comments:

Post a Comment